While Belkin N300 router has many advantages in comparison to its contemporaries, but those advantages can be rendered useless if your router doesn’t work. If you are dealing with a non-functional Belkin N300 wireless router, then you need to do the following:
- First, connect your laptop to your ISP and run a speed test. One of the most reliable websites for checking the website speed is http://speedtest.net
- Then, open a command-line window on the laptop (Hold Windows and press ‘R’), this will open a run window normally in the lower-left corner of the screen. Type CMD and press the return key. This should open a command-line window. In this window, enter the command IPCONFIG / ALL and press the return key. Look through the exit for the Wireless Gateway address and write it down. Then connect the laptop to Belkin using one of the four LAN ports on the router. Repeat the command line sequence described above and note the new gateway address.
- Open a browser and enter this second gateway address in the browser. This should connect to Belkin as soon as you can log on.
- The two gateway addresses must have four groups of numbers like 192.168.2.1. If the first three groups of numbers are the same for both gateway addresses, then Belkin will not be communicating correctly with the ISP. You will have to change the settings to your ISP or Belkin so that they do not disagree about the first three numbers. For example, if both are starting with 192.168.2. Change one to be 192.168.3, but do not change the first two groups -command-line change the third group.
- Then connect the Belkin’s WAN port to the ISP port and try the speed test with the laptop connected to Belkin. If this is a speed similar to the previous test (which will be slightly slower), then the two routers are working together. Make sure the laptop is not connecting via Wi-Fi from any router or the result will be meaningless.
- Then try the Wi-Fi connection to Belkin. Perform the same speed test.
- Make sure Belkin and ISP are using different Wi-Fi network names. If they are the same, then this can cause a problem.
- Try logging on to Belkin and changing the channel number. Try a number of different channels to see if it makes any difference.
- Try to configure Belkin to use ‘b & g mode’ instead of ‘n’ mode or even ‘b’ mode only. Try changing the channel numbers again after changing the mode.
This is how you can fix the problem of Belkin N300 Router not working. If you are still facing the same problem, then you can get in touch with Belkin support to find out as to why you are not able to access the internet through Belkin N300 router.